The Banks of Silence


"Live close to nature and your spirit will not be easily broken, for you learn something of patience and resilience. You will not grow restless, and you will never feel lonely." - Ruskin Bond (A Book of Simple Living; Page 26)

Chupir Chor, or the Banks of Silence as I would love to translate it to from Bengali, is an oxbow lake, situated near Purbasthali, East Bardhaman, West Bengal. This lake was formed as the river Ganga changed its course over the years. A paradise for migratory birds which have been flocking here every winter, makes a visit to this place a memorable one. Red Crested Pochards, Lesser Whistling Ducks, Common Snipes, Little Grebe, Ferruginous Ducks, Ospreys migrate to this area in Indian winters and thus reign supreme.

Having heard of this place which is situated only about sixty kilometres from my home town, journeyed here today with great enthusiasm especially generated from my beloved father, who in spite of his physical challenges, has unending exuberance for travelling places. For some reason or the other off late, I had been feeling extremely despondent about clicking pictures, however upon reaching the place and experiencing the beautiful birds who travel all the way from far off areas and temporarily adorn this wetland, I simply devoted myself to capture these graceful gifts of nature for about an hour and half thus forgetting about the complexities of documentary photography and stuff like that for the time being which had been flocking my head thus making things a little weird at times. How can I forget that what attracted me towards photography was simply the urge to document nature and the world around on the go. This might not have sense to the intellectual photography aspirants but to me, the time spent there and the images captured, gave me a great sense of pleasure and peace. I only wish that these guests of honor continue to visit Chupir Chor every year and hope common sense prevails and we remain keen and sincere to protect their natural habitats.



























Comments